Music Banter - View Single Post - Advice thread
Thread: Advice thread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #132 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumor View Post
Um
I know I'm not stupid, lazy, or a slave to my sexual urges. Good advice though. You're a top notch guy Crash.

I don't know, I want to help people, its the only thing that makes me feel like my life is meaningful. If I did that for a living, I would be very happy. I could just get a profession thats decent and easy and volunteer on the side but I'm 17 years old! I figure I'm young enough to be at least a bit ambitious.
I'm a good student. Not a great student, a good student. I'm a decent athlete. Not a great athlete but a decent one. I will probably not get a scholarship. I'm not sure about loans but flipping burger for a few years to pay for college doesn't seem so bad. The idea of being a medic is a very new one to me but I thought it was a decent solution to my problem. Granted, I don't necessarily trust the government, nor do I approve of the war or want to shoot at people, but I have no moral opposition to giving sick people medical care. I thought I could be a nurse at first but somebody told me you had to have nurse training beforehand. Silly, since I don't want to be a nurse and would just be frittering away my life.
I don't expect it to be fun or exciting, really, although in the back of my mind I'm expecting parts of it to be absolutely terrifying. One of the qualities I like most about myself is my ability to work under pressure. When I need to, I can shut off my mind and do the things that need to be done. I figured this would be a good quality for someone in that sort of profession to have. Basically, the millitary>McDonalds because I would get to help people so I would feel like my life had meaning, and I would probably get the money faster.

I do need to do more research about this but I don't even get out of high school for a year. I have some time to figure out what I'm going to do with myself. Thanks again everybody.
(I don't mean to be condescending here...)
Don't feel bad. There aren't many 16/17 year olds that have a clue about not only what they want to do, but especially about what's best for them. Most people that age don't really know who they are yet, and will change a lot.
That's an important fact to consider when it comes down to making life-altering decisions, because you may regret a lot of things in the long run when your priorities change. I say, don't place so much pressure on yourself at the moment. It's not a race. Just finish school, take a break, then if you want to try college, do some basic courses that you'll need credits for (at your local community college, as it will be far cheaper than at university), give yourself time to think and change, and keep yourself mobile and flexible. Don't lock yourself down so early. Get a throwaway job for funds, and just give it a couple years before you start getting serious.

Give yourself a chance to figure yourself out, without doing any permanent damage to your life in the meantime.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote