Music Banter - View Single Post - The Groove Metal Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
LOLPOCALYPSE
Aryan Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
Death was mainstream during the time the lists were most made, what you talking about? They were on MTV, "The Philosopher" even made it onto Beavis and Butt-Head... that is mainstream... they along with Morbid Angel, Carcass and Entombed were bands in the style that everyone knew.. big following in the mid 90's, as a result of Headbangers Ball. The mainstream knew who Death were.. and Chuck was known to the MTV crowd.

I do not see who Pantera can be viewed of as anything but mediocre. A few good songs, and a whole lot of macho crap. "Far Beyond Driven" is to me just as loaded with cliches as the nu-metal it would inspire, and is just as creative.
Death was mainstream within the metal community, but were not nearly as well known as Pantera. I'm talking 2 million albums versus 20 million albums sold. The term mainstream is used pretty loosely, but I would consider for something to be mainstream it would had to reach a mainstream audience. People may have been aware of Death, but was it frequently listened to? Compared to Pantera, no.

Nickelback = mainstream in all communities
Disturbed, Slipknot (others considered "mainstream") = mainstream within the metal community

People I am around everyday know that I am an avid Slipknot fan, and are aware of the band, but most of them listen to mainstream tunes (Lady Gaga, Chiddy Bang, Dave Matthews) or my more boring friends that are still stuck in the classic rock rut I escaped at age 10. They couldn't name a Slipknot song to save their lives, save for the ones that *shudder* appeared on Guitar Hero. I hear the words "scary" and "screamo" and "banging on drums" thrown around quite a bit, and that is pretty much the extent of their knowledge. In the same way, Pantera (somewhere between the success of a Nickelback and Death in terms of mainstream) were much more widely known, accepted, and listened to than Death. Death was only "mainstream" within a much smaller minority.

I guess I can see how you wouldn't like Pantera, but to call them mediocre is kind of a stretch.
LOLPOCALYPSE is offline   Reply With Quote