Music Banter - View Single Post - Third Eye Vision
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Vol. 2: N
No. Title Length
1. "Track 1" 1:26
2. "Track 2" 10:49
3. "Track 3" 2:58
4. "Track 4" 2:09
5. "Track 5" 15:49
6. "Track 6" 3:18
7. "Track 7" 6:04
8. "Track 8" 2:16
Total length:
44:49

"Pullets on Parade (Million Chicken March)" starts off like a deranged sea shanty, only to (unfortunately) lose the sea shanty. This album intro has us clapping along to 60's novelty "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" with Buck opening up on top. It's got a bit of charm on its own, but what we're really waiting on is:

"Flying Finger Fury (In the Coop)". I'm not sure how exactly the names were decided upon, but I must say in general they are fairly descriptive of what one might find inside... This is no exception.

Buckethead lets out a medium tempo bit of finger fury to start us off. The bass and drums on this track stand out really well. Really get the head and foot nodding. Buckethead soothes us with his vicious assault. Quiet, soft tones with fierce licks and riffs. Make for a funkin perfect match if you ask me...
I love when things get a bit slappy and sloppy. Put a star next to this one. It's unfunkgettable. I actually wish it were longer, but pushing 11 minutes, I won't complain too much...

"Hanged Man's Lament" ... as the bells toll in the church tower, the little drummer boy plays your personal death march. That's it. It certainly halts the happy mood from the last track in its tracks.

Thankfully, "Robot Foot Pursuit" comes in to save the day. Like... just kidding about Hanged Man's Lament, here's the real segue... Very fun, fairly simple, but fairly short. Trick ending though! Use that as your cue to go to the bathroom or grab a beer or get your smoking tools. You'll be needing them for the next 15 minutes:

"Blue Marbles Moon" wishes it would have made it onto a disc like Population Override or Electric Tears. But then it laughed, because it knew it was far superior (Wha!?) It warms up and grooves, and builds and moves gracefully and with patience until emotional guitar release begins around 12 minutes and settles to outro the last minute and a half. I don't want to break this one down note for note. I was too busy smoking a bowl. You must listen to this track if Buck's mellow, technical guitar work is your style.

and then comes the avant-garde instrumental story-telling of the great "Droid Factory Conveyor Belt Ambush". Gather around kiddies, and keep quiet. The name really does tell it all. Imagine you're on the factory floor of the droid manufacturing plant, on a planet far, far, away...
Sneak in, Mission Impossible style... but it's quiet... too quiet. Creep ... ah, hell, go for it... Ah damn, we've been spotted. Move move move!!! Ah... it's like a space western. Got it. Daring escape! Did our heroes survive? Find out next week!
Coming next time: Our heroes are in peril of being trapped by the forces of E-VIL in the Droid Factory... will they make it out ALIVE???

"The Beheaded"
Coffee or Meth. And maybe anger management issues. Very fun, for those insane like us. Pretty funkin nutty though. This might be another one of those scenescape stories but my guess is... like I said... drugs. My god what's going on at 3:20? Is that a coherent and awesome funky bassline/solo over one long drum roll? Ah, yes. It was. Drums gonna take a break? Yea, just to save some energy for the spazzmatictacity that follows. At least Buck on guitar stays fairly 'normal' from here on out. Playing fast-paced but coherent riffs, over spazzed out insanity. Preview for yourself...

And we outro with the eerie, yet bouncy, "Memories of Forgotten Dreams". Swirling death in the ears is replaced by a rousing drum beat-up and wankery until the end. I take issue with the wankery of an ending, but only for a moment. There's 11 more volumes!

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote