Music Banter - View Single Post - Third Eye Vision
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Vol. 4: E
No. Title Length
1. "Track 1" 3:20
2. "Track 2" 7:07
3. "Track 3" 9:02
4. "Track 4" 3:29
5. "Track 5" 5:21
6. "Track 6" 3:29
7. "Track 7" 3:58
8. "Track 8" 6:39
Total length:
42:30

Volume 4 kicks off with "Raging Nugget"... a raging little funky jam nugget as it were... some monstrous Buckethead licks and soloing laid against mellow, peaceful sections and a lively bassline. Short and very sweet. Don't skip this track.

"The Machines Shall Remain" is an eerie avant-garde piece that takes us, seemingly, back to the Droid Factory for another creep around. With a vivid imagination, it seems as if we've escaped from our holding cell, but an alarm has been tripped... and there's a confrontation while attempting to flee. It's fairly even for a little while, but we really start taking our licks. And it looks fairly bleak for us. We're entered into a state of delusion...

Track 3 picks up a bit on the mood; the drums come out jammin right away and Buck is not too far behind. "Milk Plus Synthemesc" This could have been a very beautiful song, but the Buck went for dissonant and creepy, spontaneous and barely cohesive. It works. But I can see what could have been on this track, so I score it lower than I should. This is a very interesting insight into how strange a guitar solo can be. The tone is hellish, something about his note choice seems like he's playing on the edge of insanity... I do love how the bass and drums juxtapose with Buckethead's warbling around... Excellent dissonant shreddism.

And then... "1984 Beat Bumpin' (Tribute to Darren Robinson)" is something all together different. An early hip-hop drum instrumental that turns more recognizable with organ, beatbox (possibly Buckethead himself), harmonic guitar and sample work. At 2:15 the bass jumps in and the drums change up, giving the track some needed flow and groove. Yayuh!

"Domo-Kun's Nightmare"... what to say about Domo-Kun's Nightmare. Skip it unless you've been digging these avant-experimental instrumental stories. This one isn't so much a nightmare as electronic steel mill hell. It is scary, though, so I guess that's why it's called nightmare... Metal on Metal, whirling/bubbling energy/liquid/sound... Not my idea of a 'happy place'...

"Silkie Bantam" to the rescue! Ahh, that's so much better. That's the kind of Buckethead I like to hear. Riffs barely restrained. It's as if someone's tied cinderblocks to Buck's wrists. He's still chugging out insane riffs and building emotionally, but every time he goes to let it out, he restrains himself. Then, at the two minute marker, he finally explodes and levels the building to the ground. Additionally, a wonderful outro solo make this a keeper! Excellent drum work too. Love the rolls at the end!

Welcome to "Ectoplasm Circus"! Step right up! Step right up! No, not so close, Ok! Here we go! This is an exercise in goofy carney-ism that breaks into a slunky funk of insanity. Like someone's drilling into your brain with a guitar needle. And of course, they throw down that 1 1-2 drum beat to get down with while they extract your grey matter through your ears. The best this gets is after 2:50. The insanity finally breaks and Buck becomes open to the possibility of making sense and keeping a less alarming noise going through our ear canals.

"Visiting Rights" is a bouncing bass drum, chimes, and Buckethead coming in and out with seconds worth of random notes. Downright unnecessary and boring, but the last 60 seconds hold merit for serenity.

Last edited by Mrd00d; 08-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote