Music Banter - View Single Post - The "I Have No Idea Who The Hell That Is" thread
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
@Stone Birds

Hatfield and the North keeps popping up as a recommendation on my last.fm, because I have a lot of Henry Cow plays. All I know is that it's a progressive, jazz-rock band from Canterbury scene. I haven't listened to it yet, but I youtubed some of their songs and I have a feeling I wouldn't like it.
Hatfield and the North is a pretty integral band from the Canterbury as their two studio albums are some of the finest to ever emerge from the scene. Richard Sinclair who was previously in Caravan had, along with keyboardist Steve Miller, gotten more interested in exploring a jazzier sound. These influences are appearant on the Miller/Sinclair songs on Caravan's Waterloo Lily from 1972 .. After that album, they both left Caravan and Richard Sinclair formed Hatfield and the North a little later with Phil Miller (Steve Miller's brother), Pip Pyle and Dave Stewart.

They're jazzy, complex but catchy and melodic. In short, awesome

edit :

Richard Sinclair likes to write songs, for example Let's Eat (Real Soon) which was released as a single before their first studio album.

but the bulk of their stuff is instrumental ..

.. with occasional appearances by the "Northettes", the band's female trio who did angelic, boy choir-ish vocals (they are generally not regarded official band members).

Last edited by Guybrush; 06-06-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote