Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zer0

Discovery, Discovery...

I always love stumbling upon bands new and old, just like the rest of us here. Sometimes I discover new music by checking out recommendations here and I aways like to give something back in return. So here is a selection of bands that I have discovered over the past few months that I really enjoy and hopefully some people here will too.

The Radio Dept.

The Radio Dept. formed in Sweden in 1995. It wasn't until 2000 that they released their debut EP Against The Tide and 2003 when they released their debut full-length album Lesser Matters. The band have gone on to release two more studio albums to date, Pet Grief (2006) and Clinging To a Scheme (2010) as well as three more EPs and a scattering of singles. Their sound consists of a warm, melodic, fuzzy shoegaze and dream-pop influenced indie sound and invokes a warm, bittersweet, almost late summer evening feeling. It makes you feel very melancholic and nostalgic at times. I can't wait to hear more from these guys in the future.

Aberdeen

An American band originally formed in 1993 and shortly afterwards they landed themselves a deal with the then prominent indie-pop label Sarah records (which included bands such as The Orchids, The Field Mice and Another Sunny Day in its roster). Aberdeen released three singles for the label: Byron, Snapdragon and Fireworks, before the label folded in 1995 which also resulted in the band calling it a day. Six years later in 2001 the band decided to give it another shot and recorded their only full-length album to date, Homesick and Happy To Be Here in 2002. The band split again in 2005 only to reform yet again last year and are currently playing shows. Their sound, although hardly innovative, is remarkably well-done indie-pop featuring unforgettable vocals hooks and jangly, chiming guitars. This band is a real forgotten gem.

Red House Painters

Red House Painters formed in San Francisco in 1989 and soon became associated with a strain of alternative rock known as 'slowcore' along with bands such as Low and Codeine. Their frontman Mark Kozelek often writes lyrics from a very personal and emotional viewpoint which gives their songs a very downbeat and introspective feel, often descending into downright depressing. Despite the depressing nature of some of their songs their music can be very comforting to listen to and their albums, often sprawling epics, are the type of albums you can immerse yourself in and find some sort of comfort in the music. The band released six albums during their career before splitting in 2003 - Down Colorful Hill (1992), Red House Painters (a.k.a. Rollercoaster) (1993), Red House Painters (a.k.a. Bridge) (1993), Ocean Beach (1995), Songs For a Blue Guitar (1996) and Old Ramon (2001).