Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer
Thread: Slayer
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #141 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I sort of agree with you, I just think that it didn't age that well. As far as 1986 goes, when it came out, it was space age. Now, it's kinda generic.
Original sounds shouldn't be considered generic if nobody else was making them at the time. Even if the sounds were rendered generic by latecomers.

Quote:
I love the first few releases "Show No Mercy", "Haunting the Chapel", "Live Undead" and "Hell Awaits" a ton. I seem to be in a minority when I say "Reign In Blood" gets more credit than it deserves. To me that album is good for the bookmark tracks. But the tracks in between don't live up to it and feel like filler to me. I like the early days better than what they started with "Reign in Blood".. though "South of Heaven" and "Seasons in the Abyss" had there moments, I will still take those early albums over them.
I agree with every bit of this except, overall, I love Reign in Blood like everybody else.

"Filler" songs usually only get labelled that way by people who simply don't like them. It's fine to dislike songs but calling any song on Reign In Blood "filler" is an undeserved insult to Slayer. It's not like they needed to come up with some bullshit to "fill up" an album that's only about 30 minutes long. I believe they wrote/performed each of those songs with equal care.