Music Banter - View Single Post - Can God Give Free Will?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #115 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

The Catholic God, theoretically, could do so. It would definitely be more likely if the Creator wasn't all-knowing, but I definitely say that it could still be done.

In spite of the theoretical omnipotent being knowing all that has come to pass and all that will ever come to pass, and having full control of who he does and does not create, all that would be needed for free will is God not giving a damn.

Basically, assuming there is a creator for this argument, we could have free will based on his creating the Earth and the first human, then completely turning his back on all of humanity and allowing things to come to pass as they would. Perhaps he's already seen the end, gotten bored, and just let us go about playing things out until that end.

Also, I'm using free will to describe our own finite judgments and decisions. Likely, that's what is meant by free will in the first place, as we don't have the ability to do anything beyond that. So basically, I'll say that yes, there could be free will even if there is a deity who is our creator, but it is only free will within a certain set of parameters laid forth by this deity.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote