Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #378 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
On another note, I feel King Crimson are on par with The Beatles and Rolling Stones in terms of influence upon later generations of musicians (many of which would soar to high commercial visibility).
I completely agree with you. I've been digging through their discography recently, and it's amazing what all they did and how much influence they had on future musicians (progressive rock or otherwise). King Crimson were the quintessential band of crossover prog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
The Beatles here, followed by Hendrix. The rest are just alright.
I'm almost positive that Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and The Velvet Underground are more than just alright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
Maybe it is the fact that I find Elvis to be the single most overrated music figure in the history of music, and think if you look past his good looks and stage persona, he really had nothing much going on for him. Elvis embodies the performer, he was a showman... but at his core he was an entertainer over a musician. But when looking at his time, he was nothing special.. he was just a glorified cover performer. I hate that he is considered the king of rock n roll to so many, especially when Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and others were doing much better stuff in those days. Chuck Berry deserves the title more than Elvis. Elvis is now just a marketing tool, selling off his image... well, he always did.
I agree. Elvis was essentially the first pop star in rock music. In other words... mediocrity isn't something to receive praise for.

Last edited by TockTockTock; 06-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote