Music Banter - View Single Post - Top Ten Punk Albums
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #96 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Yeah. Reagan Youth is a good band. I added Paul Bakija on facebook the other day actually. He is really cool and takes the time to answer questions for fans if they ask him something. Nice guy.

Somebody asked him recently how he got the sound on those early albums, and tips on how to do it and what equipment he used, he responded:

"Hey Jim,

If you look at the info on the first record, it says "recorded between Spring 1983 to Spring 1984. That's over a year ! And for seven songs that averaged a minute and a half in length. That's a lot of time spent recording for such a short time ofmusic. Now a whole bunch of time was spent on getting the guitar to sound down.

Back when I recorded those early songs I used an audioworks distortion box and played through fender amps and sometimes marshalls. Sometimes I'd record directly into the board and when I did that I'd listen to the guitar sound coming through the speakers and it sounded awesome. some off those songs were recorded that way, but that could sound thin as well, so you can always double up the guitar. Anythng is possible when recording, don't forget that.

Bottom line is this; plug your guitar into an amp you think sounds best and microphone placement is really important. I like to have the amp facing a wall and I put the microphone in between the speaker and the wall so the sound from the amp bounces off the wall and back at the microphone.

There's a lot you can do so have fun with it and don't let yourself ever get frustrated. This should be a labor of love,guyitar the ultimate guitar tone down. Always think dirty sounding, a metallic sound like you get from the Big Muff distirtion box. I think I'm gonna have to buy one just thinking about it......lol

Oh, and the guitar I used was a Les Paul copy by Ibanez from the 70's. Ibanez made great copies. So great Gibson sued them.....lol

Definitely use a guitar with humbuckers, no single coils if you want that dirty, metallic sound from the early Reagan Youth recordings.

I hope I've benn some help, and keep rockin' that guitar !

Good luck,
-Paul"

yeah, typos and all in that are are straight from the man himself. Really cool that he answered the question, and did it really quickly. Like 10 minutes after being asked.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote