Music Banter - View Single Post - A question to vegetarians
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #291 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

I'm a situationalist vegan/raw foodist, which means that I'm a vegan except when the situation calls for me to eat animal products. For example, if I'm invited to dinner at a person's house and dinner consists of animal products, I will eat them, but not gluttonously. There's no sense getting on a soapbox about my political/environmental/nutritional beliefs and being rude when someone has been so gracious as to make me dinner. There have also been times in my life when my preferred diet has not been possible to strictly maintain, no big deal.

Having said all this, there's no reason for any human in contemporary times to eat animal products other than the fact that one believes that they taste good, they don't have access to non-animal foods, or they cannot afford to have an animal product free diet. Eating healthy is expensive.

Eating animal products does not provide the nutrition that the body needs to thrive (not even bioavailable protein). Factory farming of animals and their byproducts is a waste of space, global resources, and is in itself and act of cruelty. I care far less about the act of killing an animal than I am concerned about the treatment an animal receives while being raised and the conditions that it is exposed to. Finally, eating animal products, with few exceptions is simply bad for the human body. It causes inflamation, constipation, throws the body's PH balance into a very acidic state, and most animal flesh cooked is almost completely devoid of nutritional value, and the act of cooking flesh introduces carcinogenic substances into the body that are not present in it's uncooked state (although, I will admit that I'd take less nutritionally viable and carcinogenic over replete with food-born diseases).

I think furthest down on the list of reasons why I don't eat animal products is the belief that killing animals is wrong, but I do believe that killing/enslaving animals for no reason is wrong. However, If an animal died of natural causes, I would take part in eat it if it were presented to me graciously.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote