Music Banter - View Single Post - Top Ten Punk Albums
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #98 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Yeah. I have met a few guys from the punk scene over the years, and all of them have been nice and really friendly. There is always that moment though when you go to approach them, especially after a set where on stage you see they can be dicks... but you meet and chat with them after and realise how much of it is just a stage persona and they are not like that offstage.

I remember one of my favorites was The Black Halos, I chatted with them for a few minutes and they were nice, Billy chatted with me like a person, and soon after meeting them they had me by the stage doing background vocals, signing stuff for me and they even invited me to an after party and treated me like I was one of them. I still talk to Billy and he is always cool to me.

That is why I loved the punk scene, i remember being that dorky looking kid at 14 with no friends, cause everything thought i was just a freak. I went to shows before and people just kinda passed me up and ignored me. So first punk show I went to was a band called d.b.s. from Vancouver I believe. I was nervous and sitting by myself in the corner of the building.. to afraid to talk to anyone there cause I was just a weirdo outcast. This one girl walked up to me and said "man, come on get out there and dance, have some fun with us"... it just made me go... what the... nobody ever talks to me or approaches me, i was taken back by it and they all welcomed me llike I was just another cool person. That was what made me fall in love with the scene and for once made me feel accepted. I get that at shows all the time, people coming up to me and saying, come on get out there !

It was to me a case of, you can jump on stage and sing with them.. the people in the crowd are on the same level as the people on the stage and there is freedom in it. Sure, every now and then you meet that band that kinda does the opposite. But the majority of times, they are just normal guys connecting with the crowd.

That is what got me into the scene, it felt like a family, no matter who you were, if you were respectful and didnt cause sh*t or be an idiot, they welcomed you as the outcast you were and treated you like you were an equal. There was no pretentious crap, it was all very cool.

That acceptance at the d.b.s. show just made me go... screw all those other scenes, this is where I belong, where even an oddball like me can be accepted for who i am.

I have since since that turn around in recent years here though, and seen it become more a fashion contest and a herd mentality.. and that always bothers me. To see it reduced to a popularity contest to many here is a kick in the face to me to what the scene should be. It is happening more and more, it is changing. The old timers still have it, but as generations change it seems to be shifting to a more popularity contest.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote