Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's our Homer?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #47 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma View Post
Vonnegut is more consistent, I definitely agree, but I feel that maybe John Irving could have a bigger impact if more people read him After all, he's written several novels with controversial aspects, like abortion (Cider House Rules, which is such a pro choice book I get a feminist boner when I read it), homosexuality (several of his books actually, and they're never condescending and hardly ever ascribe to stereotypes which is so progressive) and he even has a trans person in his novels, and no one acts like there's something wrong with her, she's a great character. Vonnegut does write great stories but I think in a more lasting impact, Irving would get the crown.
I would think your argument that John Irving addresses more topical issues would actually make him less likely to be well known a thousand years from now. I'd imagine people in the next millennium will be so far past debates about abortion and LGBT rights that they would have a hard time even understanding the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Poll shall include:

Tolkien
Vonnegut
Stephen King (he was nominated twice)
Irving
Murakami
Dr. Seuss (it could happen)
Toni Morrison
John Updike
James Baldwin
Mark Twain
William Faulkner
James Joyce
Asimov

I wanted to add Melville but I guess he doesn't qualify since it's been a little over a hundred years since his passing. I'll add any other suggestions.
Mark Twain doesn't qualify either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
Toni Morrison really? I can think of one book Beloved.
How many books can you name by Chaucer?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote