Music Banter - View Single Post - The No Wave Movement... Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Default The No Wave Movement... Reviewed

The No Wave Movement

I’ve been thinking about writing a journal or starting an album review thread for quite some time, but… I have been hesitant in doing so due to my lack of experience in reviewing albums. After a few months, however, I worked up enough courage to actually start one. So, why not choose a topic that I have a passion for and that has been relatively neglected? It’s obvious that I chose the No Wave movement (hence the fucking title).

Alright, so… allow me to briefly establish what the No Wave movement actually is/was. Essentially, it was an art movement that took place in New York City’s underground from the late 70s to the early 80s. It covered certain art forms, such as: film, performance art, music, and contemporary art. Of course, the purpose of this thread is to review the musical aspect of the movement and not the others (sorry to disappoint you). And now comes the almost cliché statement that is normally associated with No Wave… Even though it was merely a “blip” upon the screen of musical history, it had a profound influence on many musicians to come. To be specific, it only lasted around five to eight years (it varies), but it covered a vast array of genres in the process, like: noise rock, synthpop/minimal-synth, funk, post-punk, surf rock, jazz, alternative rock, blues, opera, industrial music, avant-prog, art rock, various forms of punk rock, and avant-garde/experimental music in general. I’m not going to get into too much detail, though. If you wish to know more, then just Google it or watch the Kill Your Idols documentary (highly recommended). '

Here are the bands and musicians that I will be reviewing:

3 Teens Kill 4
8-Eyed Spy
► Beirut Slump
Bound & Gagged
Bush Tetras
► Chinese Puzzle
► Circle X
► Circus Mort
► Come On
► The Dance
► Dark Day
► The Del-Byzanteens
► DNA
► Foetus
► Friction
► Glenn Branca
► Hi Sheriffs of Blue
► Ike Yard
► impLOG
► Inflatable Boy Clams
► James Chance and his collaborations and projects (I.e. the Contortions, the Blacks, Flaming Demonics)
► Jill Kroesen
► Jody Harris
► John Gavanti (Mars & DNA)
► Judy Nylon
► Liquid Liquid
► Lizzy Mercier Descloux
► The Lounge Lizards
► Mars
► Massacre
► Model Citizens
► Mofungo
► Oil Tasters
► Plebs
► Pulsallama
► Raybeats
► Rhys Chatham
► Rosa Yemen
► Seems Twice
► Sonic Youth
► The Stick Men
► The Static
► Swans
► Suicide
► Teenage Jesus & the Jerks
► Theoretical Girls
► Tools You Can Trust
►Tunnel Canary
► UJ3RK5
► UT
► V-Effect
► Von Lmo
► Y Pants

I realize that I might possibly be missing a few acts, and for that I apologize. You may also see that a few bands aren’t technically from the No Wave movement, such as AKA, Friction, Tools You Can Trust, and Tunnel Canary, but some people may unofficially associate them with the movement or claim that they had the “No Wave spirit,” etc. So, I’m adding them anyways…

Here is what I am going to do… I’m going to go through the entire list alphabetically. I’ll most likely cover one or two LPs, EPs, or singles (some of them didn‘t record that much). I will also give a bit of information about them as well as a photograph… Now, I realize now that locating some of the recorded material and information may be a bit problematic, but I will do the best I can.

Quick note… I may end up reviewing some of the new “no wave” bands in the future, but I think I have more than enough on my plate for now.

Last edited by TockTockTock; 06-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote