Music Banter - View Single Post - music is music. no matter what genre
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

Regardless of genre, [I]someone[I] out there enjoys it, and defines it as music.

The breaking down into genres is simply done because styles may be similar, or time periods and the like.

Scat, rap, R&B, classic rock, etc, all have an aura, or sound, that one can put into a group with other music that is similar.

When I was younger, I would only listen to rock (well, it's classic rock now), and refused to listen to anything else, because it 'sucked'. I had no basis for this opinion, other than narrowness of mind. LOL.

Luckily for me, I got bored with listening to the same type of music all the time, and started exploring around. Boy, if I'd known there was so much out there, I wouldn't have been so stubborn in my teens.

I'll try anything now. You never know what might whet your musical palate until you taste it, you know? Listen to the Andrews Sisters' effortless harmonies. Or Blind Willie Johnson's painful wailing of his slide guitar on 'Bottles, Knives and Steel' from the early 1930s. Brilliant.