Music Banter - View Single Post - American Police Brutality
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #85 (permalink)
Mr November
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
You're exactly right. You're indoctrinated.
A lot of Americans are too, on the other side of the fence. I don't deny that. I'm speaking to a common sense, logical issue.
Just because you can't have fireworks without a permit, or start fires in your back yard, or carry around a machete... does that make it impossible for people to do so?
Obviously not, but see, that analogy you used doesn't quite work well with something a bit more important like being able to save your own life by meeting force proportionally to defend yourself.

It's not about a government protecting people from themselves. It's about a government PREVENTING people from properly defending themselves. Even if it's not a huge problem, it's a problem if it happens one single time. It does not require you to feel like your rights are or aren't violated.
But I bet if your family was that one single time, you may feel a little differently.

Out of sight, out of mind.. I guess...
Well if I were going to make decisions based on worst case scenarios, I suppose I might have a lot of different stances. I don't have a definitive right or wrong answer to the question of gun control.

But let me put it this way, and you tell me if it's unfair. Should people be allowed the bring weapons onto an airplane? What if there was a hijacker? The rules against bringing dangerous objects onto the plane wouldn't be a 100% guarantee that it wouldn't happen. If everyone was allowed to have a gun, maybe someone could stop the hijacker. It would also make it a lot easier to hijack a plane though wouldn't it? And let's say your family was on the plane... but then what about all those other people on the plane. Is it really just about you and your right to defend you and your family? Or does the safety of all the other people come into the equation too?
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote