Music Banter - View Single Post - The No Wave Movement... Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

3 Teens Kill 4 (1980 - 1983/84)

General Information

While I have yet to see a creditable source label this band as "no wave," they were a New York post-punk/art punk band that was active roughly around the same period of time that the movement was. Not much is really known about this band, though, except for the fact they featured a semi-famous artist, David Wojnarowicz, and the fact that "3/5 of the band was gay"... Not entirely sure WHY that keeps showing up every time I look for information on them, but it's something I guess.

Band Members

►Doug Bressler
►Brian Butterick
►William Gerstel
►Julie Hair
►Jessie Hultberg
►David Wajnarowicz

Album Review

No Motive (1983)

Track Listing

1. Hold Up.................................. 3:57
2. Tell Me Something Good......... 4:29
3. 5/4 ........................................ 5:52
4. Crime Drama .......................... 2:50
5. Hunt/Bean Song..................... 7:48
6. Hunger ................................... 1:58

Total Length: 26:44

No Motive, 3 Teens Kill 4's only album, isn't really what I would consider to be a "gem" of the No Wave movement, but... it's certainly a decent post-punk album. Its repertoire of sound includes that of: sampling and tape looping, synthesizers, guitar, bass, and various toys and electronics. The percussion in most of the tracks tends to be a bit uniform and typical of that of most post-punk albums, but their unique and whimsical use of toys makes up for this. The songs themselves, for the most part, tend to be catchy and sometimes safely-structured. However, tracks like "Hunger" and "Tell Me Something Good" lean away from this mentality. "Hunger" tends to be very fast-paced and electronically noisy, while "Tell Me Something Good" sort of adopts an industrial-type approach to its sound/beat. Topics range anywhere from robbery ("Hold Up") to physical appearance ("Bean Song").

I personally got some enjoyment out of listening to the album, but I really don't see myself playing it a lot in the future. Let me also point out that I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone wanting to get into No Wave music; however, I would recommend it to someone who loves artsy post-punk.

My Rating: 6.5/10

For those of you who managed to read through this damn thing... here is your prize: a picture of David Wojnarowicz.

(Enjoy.)

Last edited by TockTockTock; 06-09-2011 at 05:19 PM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote