Music Banter - View Single Post - The No Wave Movement... Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Side Note # 1

Influences of the No Wave Movement

► Suicide
► The Velvet Underground
► Several avant-garde jazz/free jazz musicians, such as Sun Ra
► Krautrock bands, such as Can and Faust
► Captain Beefheart
► Protopunk bands, such as The Stooges

Allow me to also inform you that it is believed that the No Wave movement took place around 1977-1980, but some say it took place around 1978-1982. It doesn't look like a considerable difference, but... trust me when I say that there is. Many of the bands didn't last very long, and many of them didn't record much. By omitting one or two years, I would possibly be dropping anywhere from ten to fifteen (maybe more, maybe fewer) bands and artists. Hell, they deny there even was a movement, so you can kind of see how vague this whole situation is... Anyways, to sort of clear up this mess, I'll begin to highlight band/artist names in red to indicate whether they were "officially" apart of the movement or not. To be specific, I'll be highlighting the acts that released/recorded material in the Lower East Side of New York City between 1978 to 1980. The other bands and artists are possibly either Pre-No Wave (which is basically just Suicide), Post-No Wave (like Swans), or bands from other areas of the world, but shared similarities/same outlook on music (like Friction and Tunnel Canary). If I am unsure, then I will just highlight it in green.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote