Music Banter - View Single Post - The No Wave Movement... Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

8-Eyed Spy (1979 - 1980)

General Information

8-Eyed Spy was a band formed by No Wave "superstar," Lydia Lunch, and George Scott (of The Contortions). The two had known each other since 1977 and had built up some respect for one another. Shortly after Lunch recorded her solo album, Queen of Siam (1979), they decided to make a band.

In an interview with David Browne in 2008, Thurston Moore claimed that once 8-Eyed Spy released their debut album in 1981, "No Wave had ended." His reason behind saying this was that they had a more conventional approach to music... which was what the "movement" was supposedly against. Their sound can be described as have elements of both art rock and punk rock (so basically you could go with either art punk or post-punk... whatever floats your boat).

Band Members

► Lydia Lunch (Vocals)
► George Scott (Bass)
► Michael Paumgardhen (Guitar)
► Pat Irwin (Saxophone, Piano, Guitar, Bass)
► Jim Sclavunos (Drums)

Album Review

8-Eyed Spy (1997)

Track Listing

1. Diddy Wah Diddy............ 2:19
2. Lazy in Love................... 2:57
3. Love Split....................... 2:10
4. Dead You B Side Me........ 3:39
5. Swamp............................ 0:57
6. Run Through the Jungle.. 5:26
7. Motor Oil Shanty............. 4:29
8. You Twist, I Shout........... 2:31
9. Looking for Someone....... 2:39
10. Lightning's Girl............... 3:07
11. Innocence...................... 1:24
12. Boy Meets Girl................ 1:57
13. 2 Square......................... 2:36
14. I Want Candy.................. 2:05
15. Ran Away Dark............... 1:51

Total Length: 40:07

Instead of getting their live or debut album, I decided to get their compilation, which has a bit of both. First off, let me say that you should not get discouraged by Thurston Moore's comment... There are a few No Wave-like tendencies in their music, such as in some of the guitar work and especially in Lydia Lunch's delivery of her vocals. I'll also go ahead and say that this was a decent compilation album... You can even hear the audience, which was comprised of maybe three or four people, clapping and whooping it up in some of the live tracks (yea!!!).

In my opinion, their cover of "Diddy Wah Diddy" was better than both the original version and Captain Beefheart's (which was fairly boring to begin with). The combined squeal of the saxophone and Lunch's vehement, commanding voice fought through the entire song to the point where you can barely hear the piano and guitar, and yet... it's still fun to listen to. I have to say, however, that my favorite tracks on this album are "Lazy in Love" and "Motor Oil Shanty." The first being a song completely dominated by the piano and saxophone...and no guitar. Although, I think there is a banjo in the background somewhere (not entirely sure), but that's not a guitar of course. Either way, I loved Lunch's singing which is more like her yelling out spoken word poetry (this is normally how she delivers her lyrics, though). Then there is "Motor Oil Shanty," the second longest track on the album, which starts off with a funky introduction similar to that of The Contortions, but it then evolves into something more surf rock-oriented (which is possible evidence of Scott and Irwin's forming of The Raybeats).

All in all, it's a very raw and loud compilation, but that is what is expected of Lydia Lunch... Lastly, due to its more accessible sound, I would probably recommend it to someone who wants an easy entry into No Wave.

My Rating: 7.5/10

TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote