Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #2331 (permalink)
The Virgin
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
the age old debate where hipsters proclaim that music is art and so what if it doesn't sell it's better to be true to the craft than to ~sellout~

while reasonable people know that artistic integrity can't pay bills and artists may not set out to initially make a quick buck off of their art but sometimes it's necessary to do so to get by and making a living.

the whole starving artist cliche is bullshit and it really sucks to live that way.
exactly my point.

i've said this once before here that i kind of find it hypocritical for people to say that music is an expression of an artist/musician or that music is to bring a message to the people and i'm thinking, how can you express your music if you don't have enough materials to do so (instruments, sponsors, publicity, etc.) or how can you spread your message of art musically if you don't have the money to pay a media advertisment or a publishing company or organizers for your concert and all the other stuff?

practically, you can be the best singer/rapper/rocker/dancer/band in the world but without the 'right' gimmick or just plain MONEY, you'll amount to nothing.

i say if you've got a talent, good. but if you can entertain an audience that can possibly patronize anything you sell, is even better. and lady gaga just did that. look at where she is now?
The Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote