Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #6008 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Even though I think that The Doors tend to be over-hyped at times (specifically Jim Morrison), I definitely agree with this.
They`re nowhere near as hyped as they once were. I can remember when I first got into them in the mid to late 80`s here in England, most people unless they were seriously into music didn`t know too much about them and they were kind of a long forgotten band. I can remember in the mid 80`s going into London record stores such as Virgin and especially HMV and seeing their albums and posters on display in a kind of promotion push. Also, a lot of the nearby shops in places like Carnaby Street (one of the most famous streets in London) were selling loads of their T-shirts as well, so there was a lot of a revival interest in the band around this time. By around 1990 everybody here knew who the Doors were and also the Oliver Stone film about the band, did a huge amount for their revival as well.

Now the hype mostly comes from vocalists and musicians who say they were influenced by Jim and the band, also the Doors revival concerts play a big part in the hype as well.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote