Music Banter - View Single Post - This is what I heard: Gibson, Fender, Ibanez Argument
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I have tiny hands, so the Gibson neck is completely out of the question for me. That's the beef I have with Gibson. I do think they make great archtop guitars, but I've never really been a fan of Les Paul guitars aesthetically; too clunky. I much prefer their hollow / semi-hollow guitars. And again, that neck.

Fender have some serious issues, but they're very durable and player-friendly instruments. The Stratocaster isn't even remotely the most exciting looking guitar, but they're actually putting out some decent instruments now with noiseless pickups...which is a vast improvement. They also started making Blacktop series instruments which are more aggressive Fender guitars with reasonable price tags, which is pretty dank. I still love Fender, and they're small-hand friendly.

Ibanez...well. I've never been a huge fan, but I don't really play heavier music myself. When they started their Artcore series, I saw those guitars and was pumped. Many people gave them shining reviews, and I almost bought one. Almost. I realized, after playing a buddy's AF75 that they're really not top-of-the-line instruments in the slightest. You're paying for looks with those, pretty much. I will say that fretboard access is definitely superb, but they make some weak hollowbody and semi-hollowbody instruments.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote