Music Banter - View Single Post - This is what I heard: Gibson, Fender, Ibanez Argument
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
Ibanez...well. I've never been a huge fan, but I don't really play heavier music myself. When they started their Artcore series, I saw those guitars and was pumped. Many people gave them shining reviews, and I almost bought one. Almost. I realized, after playing a buddy's AF75 that they're really not top-of-the-line instruments in the slightest. You're paying for looks with those, pretty much. I will say that fretboard access is definitely superb, but they make some weak hollowbody and semi-hollowbody instruments.
Can't say I agree here. The AK95 in particular jumps out as a very nice hollowbody for the price. The only reason I don't own one is because I went for an epiphone swingster instead, mostly on the basis of the filtertron style pickups for a different style with some jangle.

The RGT series are excellent too, and the RG550 is nigh-on legendary, along with the S540 and so on.

Ibanez make some excellent instruments in every area, they really do. I don't think thats up for question. What is up for question is whether their design decisions make sense for the consumer. As great as the edge and ZR and Edge Pro trems are, Ibanez haven't endeared themselves to traditionalists by insisting on using proprietary hardware, and subsequently making their stuff difficult to customise or get replacement parts for. Need a new trem arm holder for an Edge Zero? BUY A NEW TREM, SPARE PARTS NOT SOLD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote