Music Banter - View Single Post - The Art of Arkestration: Sun Ra Discography
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

The Invisible Shield

Tracks

1. Island in the Sun
2. The Invisible Shield
3. Janus
4. Velvet
5. Joy

A return after a few days absence, and I start on a pretty damn good album. This album may not be for everyone. Even by Ra standards it's very cold and dissonant. In fact, the entire thing keeps a consistent tone(which is fairly rare for Ra), and it's very pleasing. It doesn't reach the virtuoso heights of 'The Magic City', nor does it have the extravagance of albums like 'Heliocentric Worlds', or the Elegance of 'When Angels Speak of Love'. Very much in vein of 'Angels and Demons at Play' which is another Ra classic.

However, regardless, I can't say anything this shockingly focused, trademarked, distinct, and brilliant isn't worth a high score. Especially for the title track, and Janus both of which are astounding, and showcase how truly multigenre complex avant-garde music ought to be played(Velvet and Joy are good but I think they're special edition tack-ons). A must for any Ra fan.

9/10
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote