Music Banter - View Single Post - A skaligojuday in the lifeogojurah: Compact Discreations reviewed in digitial days!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Default A skaligojuday in the lifeogojurah: Compact Discreations reviewed in digitial days!

Hello, folks, this is what I would call a new journal. Albeit, I'm not sure. However, it was a concept I came up with. See, the thing is, I listen to new albums a LOT of new albums. 95% of these albums are things that would never meet the average human ear. Not due to their lacking quality, but obscurity. Things naturally alienated for being generally superior to the mainstream formulas. A step into the new world.

That's why, I want to help people step into it with me. You'll notice a variance of styles, and varities in this. You'll also noticed that the reviews themselves are short in length. This isn't an opportunity for me to rant, but to give little tidbits on all the new albums I listen to. Via giving them a little write-up, and a youtube video.

So, here goes:

-----------------------------------

June 11, 2011

----------------------------------

Work 1 : Plunderfonics
Artist: John Oswald
Cover: NSFW

Ok, this album ****ing rules. I recommend it even for the 'pop' music listener. It's comedy, and it's pretty well sold as comedy. But not only that, shows the capabilities of studio production. John Oswald, inventor of plunderphonics(sound collage created of other songs, a concept later 'borrowed' by hip-hop during it's creation), has taken 23 different works from many different artists ranging from 'Michael Jackson' to 'Metallica' to 'Cecil Taylor' to 'Anton Webern'(There's even one for Captain Beefheart), and rearranged, remixed, and re-orchestrated their works in often humorous, always stimulating ways. There's a ****load of originality and talent in the way these are assembled to. A joy to listen to, and worth the laughs, and it's really interesting to hear these works(some full orchestras) condensed into 2-4 minute pieces.

5 stars out of 5

Work 2: Rags
Aritst: Lindsay Cooper
Cover:

I love Rock in Opposition music. It by far is one of my favorite genres. That's why it's been my duty to explore anything, and everything connected to the music. That's what brought me to Lindsay Cooper's 'Rags'. Lindsay Cooper known from many bands namingly Henry Cow, and Comus(albeit only for their ****ty second CD), is a very talented basoonist, and composer. She's also worked with: Egg, Hatfield and North, Slapp Happy, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hillage, Art Bears, etc. However, this is my first taste of her work in the spotlight as composer, and how does it taste?

Quite refreshing. It's a very good CD. Very RIO, but accessible. I mean, you don't get the slow horrorish drones of Univers Zero's 'Heresy', or Thinking Plague's thickly layered mysterious melodies. In fact, the discomfort factor that makes the Henry Cow lead Genre is all but missing. What's there is the strong adherence to liberal politics, feminism, brilliant orchestration, and exploration. This album would be the perfect entry level RIO piece, something I doubt would ever exist. Being themed off the struggles of workers, and regular life in England, it represents a very culturally dense, very colorful pallet. Plenty of complexity, but added with very short song structures, and astounding vocals. The only big hindrance is the tracks in the middle being a tad weak. Still, damn strong showing, and one which warrants a listen or two more.

4 out of 5

Work 3 : Editions a.k.a, 'After Dinner'
Artist: After Dinner
Cover:

Of the 3, the best album of the day. Even if Lindsay Cooper taught me that RIO can actually somehow be made accessible(well, I guess so can Slapp Happy, but I like Lindsay Cooper much better), and Plunderfonics taught me the potentials in completely pissing over other peoples works to give a new perspective on how pop music is perceived. This album was sheer bliss. It's one album, I could never conceive capturing on one listen. There are so many intricate details. It's so over the place. A true universe of musical bliss. Avant-garde jazz, and about a thousand other genres under that banner. This grouping of life collections from a group I only heard about from passing knowing of experimental music through RIO, has opened my eyes once more.

Proof once again that Japan is dominant. Seems that since the death of Sun Ra, Avant-jazz has been mostly exported to Japan which has made it a massively undheard of fine art. After Dinner simply is another example at the proof of Japan's largely unknown prowess to breath life in experimental Jazz like no other. Not a single disappointing moment.

5 out of 5

--------------------

Fantastic day. 3 frankly amazing albums discovered, and well worth the mention.

Please, feel free to click and listen to the youtube videos, and use them as an aid. I know this music may seem alien, but it's well worth the discussion if you find something in there you like.

Besides, Bonding over music is what this site is about. Lets start bonding, folks.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote