Music Banter - View Single Post - The No Wave Movement... Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Bound & Gagged (1978 - 198?)

General Information

The No Wave band that wasn't quite No Wave... Bound & Gagged was formed in the late 70s in Boston, Massachusetts. They were an all-female experimental post-punk group that had befriended many of the No Wave/Post-No Wave acts, such as Bush Tetras and 8-Eyed Spy. They were also mentored by the art punk/noise rock band, The Girls. Sadly, Bound & Gagged only released one album -- an EP with only four tracks that lasts less than twelve minutes.

Band Members

► Britt Britto
► Trude Koby
► Deni Ozan
► Marcia Maglione
► Wendy Stone
► Martha Sweztoff

Album Review

Bound & Gagged (1980)

Track Listing

1. Clutter......................... 2:14
2. Chains and Polymers.... 4:03
3. Attack.......................... 1:37
4. Roach Motel ................ 3:17

Total Length: 11:11

Well, there really isn't too much to say about this EP. It's not necessarily groundbreaking or amazing, but it certainly isn't terrible. Most of the songs are comprised of Eve Libertine-esque vocals, repetitive guitar work, mediocre drumming, and the dancing sound of a Farfisa organ. The only song that sort of got my attention was "Clutter," which didn't stick to the same damn repetitiveness that is featured throughout the rest of the album. It actually evolves a bit in sound as the track progresses, unlike "Roach Motel" and "Chains and Polymers." It's really too bad they were cut short with just releasing this EP... I'm sure they could have improved a lot more if they stuck to it.

Anyways, I don't really hate this album, but I don't see myself listening to it anytime soon. On the bright side... the organ is a bit fun to listen to. Heh...

My Rating: 5.5/10

TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote