Music Banter - View Single Post - Music/Music Video Censorship
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

I remember when i was young, and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was all the rage, and all of a sudden it was deemed "unsuitable for children" as it "glorified violence" and here was this huge debate at the time about how it was going to negatively impact children. There is always something stupid they wanna ban.

If you have good parents, and they raise you with proper morals and teach you from a young age right from wrong, and the difference between reality and fiction, you should be fine.

My mom was allowing me to watch r-rated movies when i was 11 years old, she allowed me to buy albums with parental advisory stickers on them as well... listen to stuff with "bad language". But she also took the time to teach me about the difference between right and wrong. She would allow me to watch it and she would question me on it after, and would make sure I knew that for example, if i saw a movie with a woman getting punched in the face that I knew that was not acceptable, she challenged me all the way... and you know, I was perfectly normal. I was watching A Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 12 years old... and all these parents of my friends critizied her for it... but she knew I was smart enough to understand that what i was watching is fiction, if there was any sign that I thought it was reality, or if I went out and did something cause i watched it... she would of took that right away.

I was raised by my parents to question what i see, and if I had any questions... i could ask and be open.

She allowed me to listen to the sunday night sex show when i was 13, while i had friends whose parents would not. They thought I was a "bad influence" and my mom was basically the antichrist for allowing me to watch and listen to these things...

But you know what, I rarely got in trouble... while these sheltered kids got into more..

Point being, if a parent takes the time with a child at a young age and educates them, teaches them right from wrong, and questions them, talks to them and encourages them to question something and ask them questions... they are more likely to be fine and not get in trouble or be warped or whatever some people wanna say.. however, if you shelter your kids away from everything and do not take the time to educate or teach them these important morals that will help them, and not listen to them and not pay attention to them, they will be more likely to act out and do something they should not.

Banning is basically a form of sheltering, but it is like when you tell a child they can not do something, without explaining to them why they can not do it, jeez.... I wonder what will happen.... oh yeah, they will go out and do it anyways. You can not watch them 24/7 and you can not hide them away from the real world forever.

No child will get the bad idea from watching these videos IF the proper care is taken with them, and they have a positive influence there to question them on it, and make sure they understand what they are seeing, and know right from wrong and consequences of actions...

If you do not like what you see on TV, change the channel... but do not decide for me what I can or can not watch...

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.

Last edited by BastardofYoung; 06-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote