Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pixies vs Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #332 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Yep. Seattle movement, or even "Seattle Sound" i suppose.

Genres do get confusing, but then you add sub-genres into the equasion as it becomes even more so confusing.

Grunge can have many influences going to it... punk/hardcore punk, metal, sludge.. even elements of Noise Rock, Drone and other styles as well... Each band is different, and have different influences.

Get into a band like say even U-Men, who were early grunge, and had elements of garage rock like The Sonics, post-punk like The Birthday Party, and even some psychobilly like as The Cramps..

It is not an easy scene to say it belongs to one genre or any another.

Though I am sure quite a few in that scene will tell you Hardcore Punk was a big part of it, Nirvana covered songs by Fang, Wipers and others... Mudhoney covered songs by Dicks, Angry Samoans, Fang, Adolescents, Void, Black Flag, The Crucif*cks... Melvins covered Flipper and others.... Punk seemed to be a lot more of an influence.

However, the above is person opinion, I have no citation to back up that it was more punk based than anything.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote