Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default A note to whoever....

Anyone who has read my previous reviews will note, from here on in, a marked difference in those that come after. As I am not really qualified to properly critique musical performances, and as I have never been totally comfortable passing judgement upon someone for doing something I can't, my reviews will from now on concentrate more on the lyrics, themes and concepts of the albums, trying to get inside the writers' heads and explain what the albums are about, or at least, what they seem to me to be about.

I will of course still refer to the playing --- you couldn't review an album without some sort of reference to the instruments and how they're used --- but to a much lesser extent. After all, if you want to hear what the album is like, you can click the Youtube selections, or indeed, download the album for yourself. I should also point out that although in some cases I will review an album track-by-track, if I feel it merits such treatment, there will be albums which I will deal with differently, perhaps only picking out a few sample tracks, perhaps reviewing most tracks but not all, perhaps only omitting one or two tracks. This doesn't necessarily mean that I consider them bad tracks, though it can be more or less taken as read that if they're passed over, it's due to other tracks being more worthy of review. In general, instrumentals will not be reviewed in any real depth, though of course on a purely instrumental album that rule would not apply.

Basically, I'll be reviewing as much or as little of the album as I feel is needed, but that's purely based on my own opinion, and should not be taken as representative of anything else. Hopefully the reviews will be better for this new format, if not do as usual please let me know.