Music Banter - View Single Post - anyone heard Christian Rock?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
Often when stores group music they have an established Christian section. I don't know what they base their selections off of though. 30-40% of the metal bands alone could be placed there as well. The only difference is many "Christian" groups have lyrics more directly or openly Christian (maybe quoting scripture or speaking directly to God/Jesus), while other bands write more cryptically or obscurely even though they have the same Christian values. However, as a non-Catholic who attends a Catholic school and hear examples and discussions of "Christian" music straight from the source, it is hard not to draw a line between, say "Christian" rock and "regular" rock, although I know none exists. The Christian-genre-prefix, if you will, is useful to identify no-nonsense and direct Christian lyrics. Just don't look only in Christian-labeled music for those values, you can find them anywhere.
That's my feeling on it. There's plenty of music out there made by Christians that you wouldn't label as "Christian-whatever". I find this music far more compelling as it sometimes deals with doubts of faith or other struggles and is overall more human in nature.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote