Music Banter - View Single Post - When Someone is Banned
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #482 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I wouldn't like to have the thread moderated. I think it would subvert the entire discussion in the thread, and cause further mistrust of us. It's good for it to be wide open, but frivolous posts are merely wasting bandwidth and irritating the people who are attempting to have a discussion.
This is an excellent post, thank you for the concise and fair response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
It's actually a policy the mods have adopted to delete posts that people are infracted for. The reason being, we constantly get people ragging us saying that we're being unfair because the comment wasn't addressed. Obviously, the community doesn't get notification that we infracted someone, nor can they see the infractions. I think most folks agree that it's better that way, but it creates a catch-22 because then we're accused of hiding "evidence".

Believe me, it sucks when you get pestered non-stop because an offensive comment that has already been dealt with has been left displayed only for a mob of people accusing us of being unfair because they're ignorant about the steps we took to address it. Easy solution: Address the situation and remove the post.

But also, we remove the posts we think are offensive (and especially at the request of the person being offended), because... um... they're offensive. That's our job, and that, for damn sure, is stated in the rules and is not a recent addition, although it may have been paraphrased, but I'm sure most people with a normal level of intelligence will understand the concept if they took the time to read and understand them.
I am aware that this is how most cases are dealt with in this manner, and I understand that this policy is in place for good reason to protect members from personal attacks and remove clutter from the boards. In that sense, it's great. But in situations where posts that would normally be admissable as every day chatter are being infracted, I don't think it has the same bearing. In short, it's like communism, it looks good on paper; but when applied to real situations and administered by man, faults arise. It can be abused and applied to situations wrongfully, and we'd both be lying if we said it hadn't been done before, perhaps even recently.

Quote:
Not sure if you realize this, but the mods write the rules. They weren't handed down by the Moses of this website's creators. They're a result of activity that moderators have deemed important to address, and serve simply as something to both guide members, and point to when actions are taken to rectify situations that go against the standard set. Not sure if you caught the part that states "these rules are subject to change at any time", but we weren't entrusted as moderators simply to uphold a written rule... we were entrusted as moderators to do whatever we felt was necessary to make sure this place didn't go to shit. We've got a pretty good collection of intelligent adults that are capable of making decisions to this effect. When we justify our decisions, we do that amongst the moderators... but don't think we don't take the community reactions into consideration.
So basically what you're saying, in short, is that the mods are essentially handing out vigilante justice and shooting from the hip on a case by case basis? That would partially explain the lack of continuity.

Quote:
1. Systematically removed from the public eye:
Do you think spam shouldn't be systematically removed from the public eye? Insults? Trolling? I'm just wondering whether you understand the concept of what moderators do on an internet forum...

2. Your opinion versus an entire team of moderators, PLUS insulted members who have complained REPEATEDLY about those insults and occurrences. I'm sorry, I like you a lot man but I just gotta go with the obvious choice here.

3. The threat of perma-banning is a result of continued behavior that goes along with number 2 above, plus the rules and all. I haven't seen any moderator post that he'll get perma-banned if he pursues the issue of his banning. I could have missed it, but I was under the impression that the concept involved pursuing continuity of his behavior that got him banned. Maybe you could clear that up for me.
1. Now you're putting words in my mouth. Of course SPAM should be removed from the boards, but I personally felt that the post in question, and the posts that followed were a valid part of the discussion at the time, which would mean they aren't SPAM. I also DO understand what a moderator does on an internet forum. That doesn't mean that mistakes don't get made and that certain instances shouldn't get called into question. As I've said before, I feel the mods do a great job most of the time, but things happen and I ask questions. I personally didn't get the warm and fuzzy from the duga - oojay situation and really didn't care for duga's response to the matter. That's why I spoke up the way I did.

2. Taking the mob mentality to this doesn't seem like the right approach. I'm not trying to stand toe-to-toe with every moderator on the forum, and likewise I don't want you/them teaming up against me, I don't have a personal issue with any of you as a matter of fact. You are entitled to your opinion, if that happens to be that you support and agree with every decision that a mod has ever made, then so be it.

3. By continued behavior, do you mean posting on the boards? ****ing chickens? Robbing liqour stores? Walking old ladies across the street? What are we talking here? Are you saying that oojay has a record of insulting people leading up to this, and this is why he was infracted on a post having nothing or little to do with previous violations?

Quote:
Good point here. That's why it may be even better if we close this thread, and simply tell users that if they have questions, they can PM moderators. But I, and none of the other mods, would just close the thread, because then we know we'd be accused of trying to suppress public inquiry and get tossed into the pit again.
No one is tossing you in the pit. You maintain the upper hand of authority the entire time. I know I tend to ask a lot of questions and inquire a lot when things go down, so that statement may have been directed at me. That's fair.

But I don't think this thread should be closed, it's a great thread that could be used to solve a lot of problems and answer a lot of questions if people used it correctly. Mods as well as regular members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".

Last edited by crash_override; 06-13-2011 at 12:40 AM.