Music Banter - View Single Post - When Someone is Banned
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #494 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
We were speaking of leniency vs. continuity. What do you mean "how would you know?" A user's history is irrelevant in that argument. She said it was moderators' leniency that was causing upheavel, I proposed that it was a lack of continuity in moderation (which really sounds worse than it is, more just different levels of temperment between different moderators).
Even if you were talking about a mods temperament you still would have no idea of the full picture.
When I was modding I had a reputation for being ban happy at short notice and being short tempered.
The truth however was very different.
Every ban I ever made was discussed with other mods first. In the whole 3 or 4 years I was modding I could probably count on my fingers how many regular members I gave bans to.

The mods are part timers doing this for free and the love of being here. Nobody got trained how to do it, pretty much all of problems are dealt with as they arrive, sometimes rules made that were an issue a few years ago may not be now. Sometimes there isn't a precedent, sometimes with the turnover of mods there are the current team may not have been around when the same issue was dealt with previously.

If you want total consistency bugger off to a music forum run by some big multinational company who employ staff with real money to do this sort of thing.

Quote:
What (mostly) pisses me off is that my "infraction-worthy" post was fact, not opinion. Like it's okay for someone to make stupid posts, but against the rules for someone else to point out that those posts exist (especially when those posts are made by a mod). I said that Vanilla posts about what flavor of frosting her vagina tastes like and which members she wouldn't kick out of her bed (content that was taken from HER OWN posts in HER OWN thread). Ever heard of not killing the messenger?
For what it's worth had I still been a mod I would have given you one too.
The whole point of an infraction is to let someone know they crossed the line without actually banning them. Had Vanilla said something to you first that wouldn't be the case but your comments was totally unprovoked and it being deleted didn't really make any difference to the thread overall which shows there wasn't really any content in it anyway.

Duga totally did the right thing.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.