Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #2359 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

If you don't like this thread being bumped don't post in it.

To say Gaga is both copying and just trying to be original all the time is contradictory and makes no sense. Actually she isn't that original, but then no music is completely original and most music offers little that is actually new in style. It's more about whether it is just any good in that style or not. Arguably most of Gaga's music isn't.

Music is always created for an audience / a market, why else would recordings be made and shown to people and sold. Some music is more limited in it's formula for a certain part of it's audience, but that can be true of all genres from metal to electonica to bubblegum pop. That music isn't always popular though, it may be for a niche audience sometimes.

I would say the most popular artists are normally technically good. Most people (even more so nowadays) won't easily put up with someone who doesn't sound perfectly in tune with perfectly produced sound. Technicality of course is not really a very deep way of judging an artist.

It's true that being popular is helped alot by marketing, but that is the same for famous rock and indie musicians as much as pop ones. And some popular music is good, some is bad. Perhaps there is more good less popular music because there is simply alot more of it out there.

So what is the point of this thread for those who don't like most (or in some cases all) of Gagas music? The answer I think is that it is not just about Gaga but about music in general.