Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #6099 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I would say that the early 80s was mixed it had pop artists and it had bands and artist from both Prog and Punk movements that slowly worked their way into the charts (in the US), so there was some representation of (formerly) underground bands at the time and even some R&B artist made a comeback.
We don't all live in America here, so I think there can be other perspectives apart from the limited one of the 80s being bland AOR rock or bland metal and it being all about Michael Jackson and Madonna and a few critics obsessed bands like Husker Du or REM. If people want to think that is the 80s that is up to them, but I like to take a broader view.

And yeh hip-hop had some interesting things in the earlier 90s, though the roots of hip-hop were the 80s, and there were some good things then. Some of the best 90s stuff I actually find on the cusp of the 80s, very late 80s or very early 90s. The roots of trance were the 80s. And electronica in general had roots way beyond the 90s going back even to the 50s. The full indie scene didn't start in the 90s it started in the 80s.

So what are we left with that is specifically 90s? Grunge? blah Even the roots of that were earlier anyway. Britpop? blah Overrated.