Music Banter - View Single Post - Do You Like or Dislike Women in Bands/as Singers
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #173 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I think Dylan is more about lyrics than vocals, and Bon Iver is more of a package deal with focus on the writing, feeling, and music as well.
Well the lyrics come through his vocals so I think they have to have a part to play. And Bon Iver does have an overall atmosphere thing going, but people do go on about his voice alot, particularly with the first album. Both of them have a very calculated vocal style as well so I think it is part of the music. It isn't a really virtuoso vocal I suppose and maybe women do that more, but not all have in the past (eg Carole King).

I think generally nowadays people are more and more obsessed with vocals anyway, whether female or male. Some people I think like The National's music because again they like the atmosphere they feel comes from the vocal. And again with the Tallest Man on Earth guy. I don't like this kind of music, I want more in the music and less just about the vocal atmosphere.