Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #6180 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Overrated to me sums up something somebody feels is just that, overrrated... too much attention, it says something is given to much credit.

Overhyped to me says that... well, it is like when a big blockbuster comes out and everybody is excited and thinking it is going to be the best movie ever, they come back and go, wow that was amazing.... and they tell you you gotta see this movie!!!... so you finally see it and go... yeah, big deal... it was alright, just not my thing. Apply that to music, it is a case of everybody building it up before hand to you and when you listen to it, and it is like alright.. but not as good as people made it out to be.

to me, overhyped is what leads to overrated in peoples minds...

I remember seeing Napoleon Dynamite the first time, and everybody built it up to be the best and most hilarious things in years... I saw it and thought, wow this sucks... what are people thinking? it was more because i went into it expecting something so much more... but i decided to watch it again and this time knowing what it was, and the hype was gone... and i loved it more and more.. i just had to watch it again to see it was good... but the hype people gave it made me not wanna hear it at first.

Hyping something can ruin the experience.

Anyways, I am sure i just backed myself into a corner and ranted nowhere on that one... haha... but I just mean, hype and rating usually do go hand in hand, but if you seperate the two and view it on it's own merit once the inital hype is worn off, it gets more rewarding...

anyways, maybe there is no difference, and that al made no sense or contradicted itself... i just think overhyped sounds better than overrated. I always say, if you wanna stop the overrating of something, just quit rating it... it is like when people go onto rate your music and give everything half a star just to prove something to themselves or they think that will make them look musicially superior... in the end even that half a star is rating something you do not like too high, and you yourself just overrated something.. so if you turn around and call overrated on it, to me it just is like.... but you yourself rated it... why not, you know... not rate it in the first place and give it even more credit than it deserves.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote