Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm getting these for my Jaguar!!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Those are for a jazzmaster. I'm not aware of if they use the same bridge, but I do know that very little between the Jaguar and Jazzmaster is interchangeable. Be very sure they will fit before you buy them.

Also, your guitar will improve more radically if you just put some thicker strings on it, than if you change the saddles. Jaguars were designed as surf guitars and failed miserably, to be picked up by Grunge later at pawn shop prices.

As such, they were designed to be used with very thick guage strings. The thin guages most people consider standard today don't provide enough downwards force to lock the bridge in place as the design was meant to. Thats why lots of jaguars get modded with tune o matic bridges, because the original bridge is prone to rattles and knocks when using thinner strings. Not a problem with the bridge design, just a problem with the strings!

Put some 12's on that bad boy and your guitar will sound better, sustain longer, have more punch, and you'll even be able to set your action slightly lower.

And if you're worried about them being too stiff for you, bear in mind the Jaguar has a 24" scale length, which is very short and therefore very loose at standard pitch. If its too tight, you're too weak! A 24" scale should feel, in terms of tension, roughly the same as having 10's on a Strat, when strung with 12s or even 13s. If its too stiff for you, you need to build up some finger strength!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote