Music Banter - View Single Post - anyone heard Christian Rock?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
CHCl3
Desinigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic Apathy View Post
But why should they try to do their own thing when being one step behind secular music is working for them?
If by working you mean being successful within a subculture while being ridiculed by the mainstream then I agree with you.

When I think successful I think being taken as serious musicians and not as copy cats of successful secular musicians from yesteryear.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid that almost all of the mainstream christian bands available can be easily comparable to other secular bands that, more often than not, write better stuff. I feel like Christians who listen exclusively to christian music are, as I mentioned earlier, being willfully ignorant. I know a small handful of people who are musicians in some kind of "rock instrument" who also refuse to listen to anything but christian music, and I think it's absolutely hilarious that they think they'll accomplish much of anything. I've yet to encounter any christian band that has a lot of technical skill on any instrument. Occasionally something will come up where a particular instrument will impress me, but it's never anything close to Peart or Hendrix, and I simply don't understand how someone can be super motivated to play an instrument without those legends as motivators.
What I would suggest you do is just download an instrumental of a really good song by a talented secular band and show it to them.

Hopefully they will learn from it instead of either brushing it off or plagiarizing it.
CHCl3 is offline   Reply With Quote