Music Banter - View Single Post - Van Halen
Thread: Van Halen
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #43 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
I guess because i like Roth and his voice lent itself better to the music at least for me. I never cared for the direction they went with the pop era. Also alot more keyboards on those albums and gimmicky sounding guitar. Their popularity held up and Hagar did get along great with Eddie which was the primary reason that they sent Roth packing. Roth does have one of the biggest egos in rock history, but his voice was great with their solid blend of rock.
DLR was always going to be a hard act to follow, his voice perfectly fitted the Van Halen sound and he looked a damn sight sexier in spandex than Freddie Mercury ever could!

1984 serves as a great example of a pop metal album and was an essential 80`s metal album imo. Van Halen as a band, were vital to the pop metal genre at that time and NWOBHM bands such as Iron Maiden, Def Leppard and Judas Priest also released a lot of pop metal inspired sounding albums around that time as well, pop metal was kind of the introduction for hair metal.

They knew they couldn`t replace DLR as such, so they went for somebody different with Hagar (largely due to their friendship, I once read they became friends as they used the same mechanic for their cars and also shared a love of Mexico) With Hagar they got it right and I probably play the Hagar albums more often than the DLR ones as well.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote