Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #3421 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
It's been confirmed Guernsey FC will be playing English non-league football from next season.

A majority of clubs in the Combined Counties League Division One last night voted to let the Green Lions into their league.

It means a raft of new teams visiting the island, the prospect of Guernsey FC playing in the FA Cup within two years, and predictions that local football will be boosted across the board as a result.

Guernsey FC Director Steve Dewsnip said, "It's been a fantastic 24 hours, Gary. A huge amount of effort went into the project and we feel as though we've got to the finishing line and in some respects we're starting an exciting journey. When we set out to do what we're doing all those months ago we wanted to give our best island footballers the chance to test themselves at a higher level. And we've had this dream to bring non league football to Guernsey and it's edging even closer now."

They'll sign their first player tomorrow and will shortly announce three friendly matches before the season begins in August.

Guernsey FC Coach Tony Vance said, "Yeah it's going to be busy, I don't think my wife's going to be very happy with me. You know I'm looking forward to the challenge. It's going to be a huge ask, hopefully we can get everyone to back us and hopefully we can make some progress."

The team already has a main sponsor. Bob Dutnall from Sportingbet said, "It's a new venture, and with any new venture there's a risk but we're it will work with the right support. We hope we're providing some kind of a lead in getting local businesses to be involved and obviously the more support it gets the chance there is of being a success."
Finally I get myself a local team to go and support every Saturday in a proper league

9 promotions in a row & we'll be in the Premier League.
And the ground is about 400 yards down the road from my house

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote