Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite All-Female Bands
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

The Runaways

I personally really enjoy both Joan Jett and Cherie Curry's hoarse voices which proceed to celebrate being young and wild in America. Starting with their self-titled album from 1976 I really get a feel for their ability to bring a rock and roll element but in a light almost pop-like sound. Being an all group was great for a starters as there was a dominant scene of male rockers during these days such as Zeppelin and Uriah Heap. They produced 4 albums which did incredibly well overseas (Asia) and they gave a voice to rebellious girls all over.

I'm a sucker for Cherry Bomb but I can't get past Is It Day Or Night. Their lyrics again tend to follow the delinquent type rantings of life but with an upbeat sense of being free to rock out at the same time.

Out of this album my ultimate song is You Drive Me Wild. Sadly, in the end things got too much for Cherie who lost the plot from years of drug abuse (part of the scene) and the band continued on without her. After the 4th album was released in 1978 there was disagreement on the musical style they all wanted to take so they broke up April 1979.

I read on Wiki that there was a girl Gayle Welch from New Zealand (my house land), and formed a Runaways type album with the Runaway right holders encouragement. Very interesting indeed.

Now it's your turn, what band do you wish could be still around now? Hook us up with a review this thread will not be full of rubbish please or I will delete it. I am aiming to improve my reviewing and want to encourage you all to do so to. Feel free to however to discuss the bands/artists brought up during this thread.