Music Banter - View Single Post - Rebecca Black
Thread: Rebecca Black
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #485 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
I honestly don't even think you read his post, or you're just analyzing it completely wrong and are getting snippy.

The Beatles have a lot of terrible songs lyrically that they are well-known for; outside of forums like this, as hard as it is to believe, a lot of people really only know tracks like "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and it's safe to say that a lot of The Beatles' longevity is shelved (at least for face value) in their most derivative songs... Really, many of their early songs and even some later on in their career were incredibly dumb lyrically. Does that make The Beatles or their songs bad? No. But it does it mean Rebecca Black should be disparaged when the most critically-acclaimed in the world has done the same many times over? Also no.

Therefore, it's a safe comparison. A lot of well-known songs from ALL DECADES feature terrible lyrics. We remember some in better light than others. But why is all of the hate being dished out here when there are so many others that are even worse? This hasn't even come close to reaching the plateau of inept lyricism.
Most people couldn't care less about lyrics, it's rock critics who obsess over that. Yes some people may remember a bit from the chorus but they won't be analysing lyrics for consistency let alone poetry. Some early songs by The Beatles may not have great lyrics but the music was what captured people, the energy and emotion of it. The Rebecca Black song sounds a bit constricted in the chorus. The comparison to She Loves You that someone made was invalid as that one takes off in the chorus (though it's hardly my favourite song by them).