Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Zer0

This Is The Part Where I Put My Music Player On Shuffle And Review The First 5 Songs That Come Up...

1. Idlewild - 'American English' (from the album The Remote Part)

Ah the first ever Idlewild song I heard. I don't listen to them that much these days but when I do they bring back some good memories. This is a really great song, Roddy Woomble's poetic lyrics and solid vocals, the cascading guitar lines and the whole epic soundscape in general just sounds brilliantly well done. I've always thought of Idlewild's music as being wintery and this song evokes the feeling of the cosy warmness of being inside on a cold winters day.

Current mood match: not too far off!

2. Anthrax - 'Lone Justice' (from the album Spreading The Disease)

Some of Anthrax's 80's material sounds a tad dated now, and this song has certainly aged a good bit. Joey Belladona's vocals are great but sound so, so 80's. The chorus here almost touches on cheesy power metal but some nice guitar work from Scott Ian saves the song somewhat.

Current mood match: meh not right now.

3. Tegan and Sara - 'This Is Everything' (from the album Under Feet Like Ours)

Ah yes this is more like it. This is a really beautiful, heartfelt and emotional ballad from my favourite Canadian twins. I really love the gentle touches of piano and that really neat-sounding Kim Deal-esque bassline, and the way the songs builds in intensity and emotion towards the end with Tegan (I think) straining her vocals slightly. The song seems to invoke the feeling of a relationship about to end and does it pretty damn well. One of my favourite T&S songs.

Current mood match: hits the spot.

4. Jane's Addiction - 'Mountain Song' (from the album Nothing's Shocking)

That riff. That riff!! Definitely one of the best Jane's Addiction songs for me. The song is based around a simple but damn f ucking good guitar riff by Dave Navarro with Perry Farrell's distinctive vocals hanging in the air. Although the song doesn't really progress much over it's 4:04 length it doesn't really need to, the song is broken up nicely however by a soaring guitar solo. The production does sound slightly dated nowadays but certainly not enough to sound cringe-worthy or unlistenable.

Current mood match: didn't think I'd really be in the mood for it but it still sounds damn good none the less.

5. The Smashing Pumpkins - 'Real Love' (from the album Machina II/The Friends & Enemies Of Modern Music)

There was bound to be a Pumpkins song showing up. The song is from what I think is by far the most underrated SP album, probably because it was never properly released. The production is a bit murky but it doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the music. This song manages to sound epic yet straight-forward at the same time, invoking a nice dreamy and slightly bittersweet feel. It's probably not the best song on the album but it's still a pretty good one.

Current mood match: nearly hits the spot.