Music Banter - View Single Post - I really don't understand the reputation of some musicians.
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I will admit black star is completely baddass. But I for one can only take souless wankery for so long.

What I dont get is the Yngwie has wonderful phrasing and compositional skills yet elects 90% of the time to run mindless scales s he gets ever closer to busting his pretentious load over his "hendrix inspired" guitar.
But you could say the same about, say, Talking Heads, spending 90% of their career making music that most people don't appreciate, (Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I've yet to meet someone who has tried to get into talking heads, who hasn't basically decided that they don't have an album that is consistently good, they have a lot of albums across which there are a good selection of great songs surrounded by weak ones) while occasionally proving they can make a fantastic song like Psycho Killer or Once In a Lifetime. But they don't engender the quickfire dismissal or hatred that Ynwgie does.

And even when that is the case with Yngwie, I would take issue with the idea that its 90% of the time. Black Star, Amberdawn, Queen in Love, Trilogy Suite, Crystal Ball, Deja Vu, How Many Miles To Babylon, Now Your Ships Are Burned, Making Love, Bedroom Eyes, in fact, the ENTIRE ALBUM Eclipse, INCLUDING the end instrumental. Even Fire and Ice, which starts off with a succession of sweeps, those sweeps outline a perfectly good chord progression, there are no wasted notes despite the crazy speed, each note serves to provide a listener with the impression of those chords. You could play the chord progression perfectly on a piano and emphasise each note of those chords, but all you would achieve would be the destruction of the sense of movement Yngwie's use of the sweeping technique allows. If you listen to Bach's Magnificat in D, VIII, Deposuit potentes, the vocal line and harpsichord together achieve the SAME THING.

Yngwie may have a penchant for techniques like this, but he isn't wasteful when he uses them. There are clear compositional reasons for doing what he does in every instance I've yet looked at. That isn't to say his music is always good, far from it, but he's not sitting down and wanking a shape over something, the shapes he uses are there for good reasons.

Unlike, to use another fareri example - YouTube - ‪francesco fareri shredding‬‏

Now yes he's very good, but he throws a "blues" lick into this demonstration that none of the shapes he flies through prior to its introduction outline or give context to. Yngwie doesn't do that, he always outlines his changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 06-27-2011 at 07:33 AM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote