Music Banter - View Single Post - Electric Light Orchestra
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Today I was listening to "Do Ya," one of my favorite ELO songs of the few I know, and decided the time has come for me to listen to every ELO song that was ever made. I've never done this for a band and I realized I like that song enough to try.

My interest in ELO started this year when I happened to listen more closely than usual to "Do Ya" while it played on the radio. I noticed how much I enjoyed the meshing of string instruments with electric guitar, a combination I have been using myself without being aware of many well-known songs that do this, too. I like the juxtaposition of the rough electric guitar and the sleeker, effervescent strings.

So I searched for an Electric Light Orchestra thread and was pleased to find this one. Then I was saddened when I realized from this last post that the musician I recall hearing had been killed in a freak accident by a hay barrel was none other than ELO's original cellist, Mike Edwards. I hadn't realized this at the time and probably it wouldn't have meant much to me either, since I wasn't familiar with many songs by ELO, or didn't know that some songs I liked *were* by ELO.

I remember at the time of Mike Edwards' death thinking how sad it was that a vibrant human spirit with so much life and so many memories could be snuffed out in such a meaningless and preposterous way. His death struck me again with the cruel irony of life: while living, we have so much going on inside us, and all that can (and will) end so quickly, as if a life were a trivial thing when it *feels* like the most important thing of all.

Back to "Do Ya." The song feels radiant to me and I love listening to it. I decided to look for a YouTube video of a more recent performance than the older one I've seen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwFssgvsC0 ). I found this one that I like:

Electric Light Orchestra's - "Do Ya"
I especially like watching the two cello players. (Cello!! ) I'm planning to tune up my cello and practice it today, and so watching the two cellists inspires me. Although I prefer the official recording of the song because it feels a little rougher and less "clean" than this performance, I really do like Jeff Lynne's voice. He sings easily, effortlessly, and impressively in tune. I also like his electric guitar playing...not flashy, but instead meshing well with the other components of the song.

YUM!!!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 06-26-2011 at 01:35 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote