Music Banter - View Single Post - Crimes Against Music
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #130 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedey View Post
If it's billed as a live performance and it isn't then a crime has been committed and the artist should face jail time, the prices at concerts being what they are you're looking at twenty years in prison for grand theft for every performance. If they are going to lip-sync that should be on the tickets and marquees in larger type face than the artists name.
Thats not what grand theft is. Legal fail.

The crime you're referencing is false advertising, misrepresenting a product, etc. Theft has nothing to do with it. Especially since theft is defined as, and I quote "The illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent."

In this instance, consent is given. Even if the product is sold under false pretenses (Which it isn't, as I will explain in a moment), it is impossible for theft to have occured.

Besides which, even without singing, the presence of a performer, on a stage, qualifies a lip synced concert as a 'performance'.

From Wikipedia: "A performance, in performing arts, generally comprises an event in which a performer or group of performers behave in a particular way for another group of people, the audience."

In this instance, the particular way the performer behaves is assumed to involve, but is not legally BOUND, to involve singing. If a concert is lip synced however, an artist is quite capable of demonstrating performance capability by dancing, gesturing, or simply working a crowd between songs. There is nothing misleading about a live performance that contains no singing or live instruments playing, if the artist defines performance via another creative expression. As such, there is nothing illegal about lip syncing.

TL;DR - You suck at interpreting the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote