Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #3539 (permalink)
Kevorkian Logic
Imperfectly Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped Episode 3 and just did HL3. Either way, I hope they are working on something.
No, they have not. I mod a half-life forum that is very connected with valve and I can reassure you that it has not been scrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
They were in the Orange Box together?
Almost.

Originally, the plot lines between the two games were going to be way more connected; however, when they were making Portal 2 valve decided to step away from being so intertwined.

Their connections:
1) They are the same world

2) When the deadly neurotoxin was released into Apertures labs it was never realized by the outside world because during the same time the events of the first Half-life (combine invasion) were going on. Basically because of the events of Half-Life aperture labs lay the forgotten wasteland that it was.

3) Aperture Science was in direct competition with Black Mesa to create the portal technology. Hence all the jokes about Black Mesa being a failure.

4) Borealis the ship (which was originally supposed to be a level in Half-life 2 but was scrapped) that was mentioned in Half-life 2 as belonging to aperture labs but having mysteriously disappeared (with its crew) is an easter egg in Portal 2. In case you are curious, where you find potato GLadoS there is a cabinet you can move back that takes takes you down a hallway where there is a door that opens up into a giant room where they kept that ship. It is pretty neat. Experiments with portal technology is how the ship disappeared and ended up at the arctic.

5) Also lots of people like to say the cave johnson is g-man. Eh, I'm not a big fan of this comparison.

6) Oh, also there are a few portal cubes around the half-life setting.