Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pixies vs Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #376 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
I do not think that was a troll, it was an honest laugh for a statement that is not true.

"Nirvana pretty much killed off that style of balladeering, so now we get emo-ballads like Hoobastank's The Reason"

You say Nirvana killed the power ballad, and gave rise to the "emo ballad".... so that statement does imply they are responsible for them in the end.

That is still wrong, cause power ballads were still being made well into the 90s and to this day.
Of course there's going to be overlap. There is hardly an instance in popular music when a prominent genre just dies completely. I personally disagree with the thought about "Emo ballads", but I believe the point Il Duce is trying to make is Nirvana was at the forefront of a movement which was counter to hair metal, one of (if not the) most popular forms of rock music in the 1980s. A prominent feature of this music were big, loud, cheesy power ballads. Though the public's interest shifted from this type of music to grunge and alternative rock, there were of course still hair metal bands around and they still made hair metal power ballads, but over time this style of music faded with the passing of the decade.

Il Duce, power ballads are still made today but they aren't hair metal power ballads, they belong to different genres. I don't believe Nirvana gave rise to an "Emo ballad" because Nirvana didn't play many ballads and weren't Emo.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote