Music Banter - View Single Post - Electric Light Orchestra
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post

This cover of the Chuck Berry tune was my first notice of ELO on the radio. The elaborate eight-minute single includes an opening musical quote from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and clever interpolations of material from the symphony's first movement.
It became their signature song, and they closed all their concerts with it.

Roll Over Beethoven - Electric Light Orchestra (live)

Nice cover! I've never seen a violinist with a cape like that. Maybe I should get a cape! :p

Quote:
I think death by runaway hay is as good a way to go as any.
If I were able to learn that I had died by runaway hay, at first I'd be pissed off. Then I'd laugh. Then I'd be pissed off. Then I'd laugh again.

Mostly, I'd just be surprised that I could know and learn anything at all!

Quote:
In memorium, Mike Edwards is one of the busy cellists in this video, where he can be seen
walking around the stage (from 6:30 to 6:45 he's behind Jeff Lynne bowing his electric guitar).
Yes, I see him, but I think the violinist stole the show with his rapid bowing...and his ketchup-mustard, yellow-spotted, red outfit with cape, of course. My arm almost gets tired as I watch him saw and saw away with that speedy violin bow of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
i love 'em to bits

even their throwaway 80s hit singles
I don't know enough of their songs to know yet which are their throwaway 80's hit singles!

I listened to ELO's "Twilight" and liked the sound of it, especially the contrast between their higher and lower notes that they sing. Their clear, strong voices and harmonies remind me of the singing of The Outfield. I also liked the dit-dit-dit of the keyboard in the background:

ELO = "Twilight"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote