Music Banter - View Single Post - Wave Of Mutilation: Pixies Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I haven't logged in at MB for a week or so and this is the first thing that catches my eye. I'm so excited! Awesome thread, Zero - the two first reviews were great! Looking forward to the others!

I first heard of Pixies in autumn 2008 - a thirteen-year-old girl recommended them to me on a Sims 2-forum. (Good taste in music for such a young age.) In January 2009 I bought my first Pixies-album: Surfer Rosa & Come on Pilgrim in one package. I would listen to it twice (or more) every day - I loved it and I still do. I'd never heard anything like it - the lyrics, vocals and riffs just blew me away. A while afterward I bought Doolittle and even though it took some time getting used to because of all the Surfer Rosa-playthroughs, I came to love it just as much or maybe even more.

I've listened to Surfer Rosa, Come on Pilgrim and Doolittle countless times, but I still have trouble discribing the music to others. I don't know what terms to use or how to formulate the sentences. Reading these two reviews helped a lot - your description of the songs is very recognizable. Finally I feel like I've have found the right words for my thoughts.

I don't feel anything special about Trompe Le Monde and Bossanova. I don't know, maybe they just haven't grown on me yet. I'll just have to try playing through them more times and wait for the magic to happen.
Cheers!

I love Bossanova, even though it's not as strong as Surfer Rosa and Doolittle it does have a certain feel to it that I love. Trompe le Monde has some great moments but overall it's definitely not my favourite Pixies album. I'll reveal more when the time comes.